What is this Higher Power?

Higher Power?  If this Higher Power is not GOD, what is it...WHO is it?

Why do people refuse to accept GOD, yet accept this label of Higher Power?



It is frequently stipulated that as long as a Higher Power is "greater" than the individual, then the only condition is that it should also be loving and caring. Well then, wouldn't this depict a 'relationship' of some kind?

They know someone or something is in control, but they are not yet sure of the Truth. Some were abused through the church or they have known people who speak of God yet do not love as God would. Therefore, trust in GOD is not possible for them.  And of course, so many hear that the Bible was written by man. How could such a book be trusted? They do not understand how God's Spirit works...yet.

So, it has to be something else...someone else.

This reminded me of the lie we tell to our children about Santa Claus. For years, children are misled. They never see Santa, really. Though there are many imposters in the malls and on television. But a real Santa?  They will discover he never existed. They never really saw Him, so how could he exist? Some of those children will continue to seek a Santa-like figure, and ultimately find God. Some will never trust those who speak of God, whom they can not see.

We each have or own journey. I believe if one is truly seeking Truth, they will eventually discover it.

Myself, I was raised with a belief in God's existence just as I knew I had to inhale to get oxygen. Half of my life I waited for him to reveal himself with his wrath. My perception of God was not Love and Compassion. That came much later.  But until that point,  I never doubted the existence of God. On the contrary; I had to find him. I was compelled to find Goodness.

The below testimony prompted me to write this post today. It raised a curiosity in me to look at what moved people from the acceptance of a Higher Power to the acceptance and surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. What was that pivotal moment for them?  For you? If you are comfortable with sharing your own journey, I am sure it would help another to read it. Please share in a comment at the end of this post.

Here is a testimony of a friend who discovered God IS the Higher Power...

Psalm 46:10

I grew up in a Christian church, but I never had a relationship with the God of the Bible. I always thought that God was angry, vindictive, spiteful, distant, judgmental, and just waiting to strike me when I got out of line.

I came to realize that I could not recover with a Higher Power who wasn't on my side. I decided to write down what I wanted in a Higher Power. I came up with characteristics like loving, compassionate, wants me to succeed, forgiving, and powerful. These didn't conflict with what my head knew about God, but I had a hard time getting my heart to believe them.

I still kept failing and kept acting out, until a friend of mine suggested that I learn what God was really like. He suggested I read from the Psalms in the Bible, and write down whatever characteristics were ascribed to God. I'm just about half way through the book of Psalms, but it has changed my image of God considerable. Listed below are just a few of the characteristics of God I've found in the book of Psalms in the Bible:
  • God watches over the righteous
  • God laughs
  • God gets angry
  • God is my Father
  • God protects me
  • God sustains me
  • God is righteous
  • God hears my call
  • God hates those who love doing wrong
  • God destroys those who love to lie
  • God abhors bloodthirsty and deceitful men
  • God is righteous
  • God protects those who take refuge in Him
  • God blesses the righteous
  • God's love never fails
  • God accepts my prayers
  • God searches minds and hearts
  • God is a righteous judge
  • God reigns forever
  • God governs with justice
  • God is a refuge
  • God never forsakes those who seek Him
  • God avenges
  • God remembers me
  • God does not ignore my cry
  • God is just
  • God helps the fatherless
  • God hears my desires
  • God encourages
  • God listens
  • God hates the wicked
  • God loves justice
  • God will keep me safe from the wicked
  • God's love never fails
  • God is present in the company of the righteous
  • God counsels me
  • God will not abandon me to the grave
  • God vindicates me
  • God sees what is right
  • God probes my heart
  • God examines me
  • God tests me
  • God answers my call
  • God's love is great
  • God saves
  • God stills the hunger of those he cherishes
  • God is my strength
  • God is my rock - a sure foundation
  • God is my fortress
  • God is my deliverer
  • God is my shield
  • God saves me
  • God is my stronghold
  • God can get angry
  • God scatters the enemies
  • God lifts me up
  • God rescues me from my enemies
  • God supports me
  • God delights in me
  • God rewards me according to my righteousness
  • God is faithful
  • God is blameless
  • God is pure
  • God is shrewd
  • God's way is perfect
  • God's word is flawless
  • God delivers me from the attacks of the people
  • God is alive
  • God avenges
  • God subdues nations
  • God's kindness is unfailing
  • God's law is perfect
  • God's law revives the soul
  • God's statutes are trustworthy
  • God's precepts are right
  • God's precepts give joy to the heart
  • God's commands give light to the eyes
  • God's ordinances are sure and altogether righteous
  • God's love never fails
  • God is wrathful
  • God grants my needs
  • God restores my soul
  • God is with me even in the worst times
  • God owns the earth and everything on it
  • God can be trusted
  • God will not let me be put to shame
  • God's mercy is great
  • God remembers
  • God is good
  • God is upright
  • God teaches
  • God guides the humble
  • God's ways are loving and faithful
  • God forgives iniquity
  • God confides in those who fear him
  • God releases me from the snare
  • God is my light
  • God is my salvation
  • God is the stronghold of my life
  • God keeps me safe in times of trouble
  • God hears my cry for mercy
  • God is my strength
  • God is my shield
  • God is the strength of His people
  • God is a fortress of salvation
  • God has a voice
  • God's voice is powerful
  • God's voice is majestic
  • God gives strength to His people

Comments

  1. This comment was written by my friend, John Frazer. I am grateful to glean the wisdom you share from your heart, John. Thank you for sharing:

    "I enjoyed the read and am of an opinion that in our finite existence, with limited capabilities, there are things Gods done to care for us beyond our capabilities to understand, although we try. I'm reminded of the front lines of what a rapturous illness will do, imagine the greatest resistance to a concept, the horrid sweltering resistance to that of a mere theory in another’s opinion of a God who would have allowed the horrors of injustice and degrading experience beyond description to understand.

    Look at our own endeavor to pursued ourselves were dependant on God, when our firm opinion is so close minded it isolates us from those who simply can't, and wouldn't if they had a choice. Then eliminates that possibility forever. It occurs to me that the gentle lead into the practice of principles spiritual in nature thwarts in all ways the opinion that a specific name must be given to love, other than love, being that proof of love itself is in a personnel experience absorbed into the heart by exhibitions of tenderness’s.

    My understanding is that maturing in faith is a humble and open-minded demonstration of teach ability, rather than knowledge dictated, which can be close minded and push me away from him. My personnel relationship isn't a debate of others realities and concepts, unless they ask me for help based on them seeing something about the way I do life that attracts them. My beliefs aren't open for judgments, isn't an arguable concept for which to stay entertained by spiritual arrogance. Its knowledge by an undeniable reality that the truth of miracles realized won’t deny.

    The real question isn’t what God should be called, higher power or Jehovah, it’s how can I personally embrace another’s truth and allow them the dignity to evolve by their own experience so they don’t become resistant. I feel as though many religionists have lost track of the beauty of many an opportunity to embrace a soul by focusing on the perceived flaws and misconceptions of individual beliefs rather than seeing the blessed miracle of the knock on the door. God or Higher power, lets open our eyes. AA / NA / CA is saving lives to the tune of millions.

    John Frazer
    Grants Pass, Oregon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

May the words shared here bless you in some way and inspire you to draw closer to God. Your input is welcomed and appreciated, my friend!

Popular Posts