Divine Pursuit

Do you realize God actively pursues you? We are born with the longing to actively pursue a spiritual understanding; to search our souls. Are you seeking God or running from Him? He may actually just be waiting for you to stop running from Him.

It is clear to me now how God pursued me all of my life. It started when I was a young girl. His pursuit of me caused me to look for Him. How do I know He pursued me? I felt a draw to something good, though I did not actually realize it was Jesus until many years later.

You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
Psalm 139:5-13





There are so many things I've written describing God's pursuit of me. A few posts I encourage you to read are Lover of Our Soul, Lead Me to the Cross, I'm Telling, and Meeting the God of America: God is Good

One way God pursues me is in my dreams. I dream often but only a few of my dreams convey God is waiting for me to respond. At times, it is very obvious. In this dream it was not so obvious. I did not actually realize the meaning of the dream until many years later. This dream came to me years before I came to know Christ. I did not have the Spirit of God in me, therefore I did not understand. But I never forgot the dream and its impact; God made sure of it.


Vacations to the Hawaiian islands were very frequent during the years I was married. Actually, I fell in love with the beauty of Hawaii and we returned there at least every other year over a ten year period. One thing I never saw as we drove around the parameter of an island was fog. It would settle in the crevasse of the volcanic mountains, but certainly not along the shoreline.

So, this dream that came to me was a bit strange from the very beginning. It was not strange I was dreaming of Hawaii, as we were planning another trip over there. What was odd was the fog..

We were driving along the shoreline of what appeared to be the north shore of Oahu. Normally we rent an economy car while touring the islands, but in the dream I was driving my Toyota 4x4 Pickup. My husband was riding in the passenger seat.

Driving became difficult as the fog began moving across the highway. It grew thicker and I was hugging the steering wheel as I strained to remain focused on the road. Making my way through the fog became impossible, so I asked my husband to drive. I pulled over to the side of the highway so we could switch seats. As my husband opened the passenger door and stepped out of the truck, he fell down the rocky cliff leading down to the water.

This startled me enough to wake me from my dream. It just did not make sense; none of it. At first, I wondered if this was a warning for us to cancel our trip.



Years later, as I was learning what it meant to consciously trust God, I flashed on this dream I had long ago. Suddenly the dream was interpreted in the Spirit. By this time, I had surrendered my heart to Jesus and was learning a great deal about my new faith. The Lord was showing me not to look to my husband to heal and save me from my past. I was shown the importance of relying on God first before man. When I am unable to see my way, whether through trials or choices I must make, Jesus wants me to seek Him first and foremost; not man. This was the significance of the fog.

My husband falling from the cliff was also symbolic of the fact that man will often disappoint or fall short.  He may also not remain in our life, as I eventually discovered when my marriage came to an end.


In times when I need rescue, it is God I must run to. When I am unable to run or am blind to my need for rescue, God is right there ready to scoop me up or move me aside out of harms way. Our Heavenly Father will never fail or abandon us.

"This is what the Lord says to His anointed...to open doors before him so that gates will not be shut; I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, SO that YOU may KNOW that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who SUMMONS YOU BY NAME." Isaiah 45:1-3

Before we even acknowledge God, He does these things; He summons us, strengthens us, and equips us before we realize He is there!
(Isaiah 45:4-7)

Comments

Popular Posts