The Bible and How God's Word Came Alive

The old family Bible sat on a table in the living room for many years and did not serve any purpose other than collecting dust. Over all the years I admired that huge Bible, I never read one word from it. I found out later that my father actually stole it from someone's home. All we ever did was admire the beautiful colorful pictures throughout the gold trimmed pages. It adorned our home.

It was not until I was invited to a women's retreat that I had an encounter with the Word of God. Curiosity and hunger for God's goodness drew me to church-going friends. I wrote about my unexplained longing for something 'good' in Meeting the God of America: God is Good.

While at this gathering of three hundred women, I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. I cried out for His rescue from a life of fear and rage. His presence was strong in that sanctuary at Mission Springs. God showed up and filled my heart with peace; He delivered me from a very dark place in my life. But I still had not encountered the power in His word.

During the final hours of the retreat, a woman handed me a scripture card ~


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.
They are plans for Good, not evil; plans for a Future and Hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

These words of encouragement had me in awe. They took hold of my heart in that moment with a power like no other words ever spoken to me. I knew the Holy Spirit was speaking to me. God knew I was seeking His goodness all those years. This very scripture, randomly handed to me by a woman who did not know me, proved God's Word is alive!

Because I've witnessed the power written in the pages of the Bible, I believe in it wholeheartedly.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. ~
John 1:1
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. ~
Psalm 119:105

Comments

Popular Posts