Forgiveness for Compassion

Satan is the destroyer of all that is good. This can include our own relationships with our children. The good news is Jesus Christ is our great Redeemer! He will take a severely damaged relationship, weave His love and forgiveness into it, making it stronger and healthier than it ever was. Relational dynamics are far reaching and complex, yet once Christ becomes the mediator, all brokenness can be made new.

After my divorce, I stumbled through life for years,separated from God. I carried a ton of baggage upon my shoulders, accompanied by a great deal of rage and shame. My daughter was quite young and witnessed my rollercoaster of emotions. This, coupled with the years of court battles with her father, resulted in alienation from my precious daughter. Throughout these years of conflict, I continued to fight for her, seeking the help I needed in order to improve my parenting skills.

It was not until I recommitted my life to Christ, and made my relationship with him a priority, that my heart began to heal. Humility led to repentance for hurtful things said and done over the years; seven to be exact. Reconciliation with my daughter's father enabled us to co-parent effectively and made life much happier for our daughter. She witnessed the process of our reconciliation and how humility and forgiveness work so beautifully together. For the past year and a half, our daughter has lived with me full time. My gratitude to the Lord for mending these significant relationships is immeasurable. What was missing, however, was my daughter's acknowledgement of our reconciliation. As I prayed, my confidence and trust was the Lord would work out the unforgiveness in her heart and heal her hurts.

This weekend, my daughter and I intervened and ministered to a friend who is experiencing similar relational struggles with her mother. My daughter's compassion toward her hurting friend touched my heart so deeply. This fifteen year old girl was distraught over her mother's inability to 'hear' her, and frightened of her mother's temper, which was triggered very easily. Sounds familiar. As my daughter and I left our friends' home, my fourteen year old 'old soul' professed the reconciliation of our relationship. She referred to our troubles as in the past. This was the greatest blessing, and an answer to the prayer of her forgiveness toward me.

As we started this Memorial Day, I recalled today also marks the fifteenth anniversary of my daughter's conception through In Vitro Fertilization. It is another 'birthday' I quietly celebrate each year, though I always mention it to my miracle babe. Knowing her unforgiveness toward me has been put to rest brings my heart to a deeper level of peace. The gift my God has given to me, His son, Jesus Christ, is the great redeemer, healer, counselor, and lover of my soul. The blessing of forgiveness was received in exchange for our ministry and compassion toward this hurting mother and daughter. Without Him, this testimony would not exist.

Comments

Popular Posts