Seeking God's Face Through The Harsh and Dreadful


Many of us long to get a peek at God's existence, whether as proof or reassurance. For many years I've recognized the blessings of God, but never experienced the face of God outside of my dreams. Two of my posts, The Guilt Trip and I'm Telling: The Holy Ghost Dream That Spoke Purpose describe the manifestation of the Holy Spirit in my dreams. This goes beyond 'hearing his voice'. I looked into a face. Each time was the same face; a bright, glowing haze. It was clearly a manifestation of the Holy Spirit in the form of an actual face. It would be reckless of me to claim that I have seen the face of God. Jesus loves me so much that He meets me in my sleep with an image of His face.

God knows we long to see Him. This is why He will go as far as having His image appear on a piece of toast, or a grilled cheese sandwich. Another perfect example is in the movie, Bruce Almighty, when Bruce is asking God to give him a sign of his existence. This huge truck, carrying a load of construction signs passes right by him, and he is still clueless. Why? I think it is because Bruce still did not believe in God at that point, and chose to taunt the concept of a loving God. Bruce was so focused on the chaos in his life, he could not see God's pursuit of him.

Have you ever experienced a visible manifestation of God's spirit? We must seek God to recognize His face. Our relationship with him is key in order to know the genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit. I am not just talking about recognizing His work or blessings in our lives, or knowing when the Holy Spirit is speaking. Seeking God involves the pursuit of a relationship so intimate that you see His image appearing before your eyes.

God is revealing His face to me in the most beautiful of ways and it is quite humbling. This week, His face appeared in clouds. While seeking time with Him at the river, listening to the rapids, I looked up to the sky, and it was right there, very defined. God revealed himself by forming a cross in a small cloud overhead. Only a couple days later, my cousin pointed out the image of God's face formed in the clouds within this picture. When I looked for God, His image revealed itself; not just once, but twice, in two different ways. God is watching! Do you see HIM?

"...the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." ~ Numbers 6:25-26

Does God manifest himself in this way to let us know He is watching? Is he reassuring us that He is sovereign? Through this season of moving forward, the enemy is waging war. Oh, I've felt it! I know God is revealing himself to remind me of the joy to be gained in persevering through the harsh and dreadful things I must endure. He brings His peace and grace into my heart.

"You are my strong tower; shelter over me. Beautiful and mighty, Everlasting King. You are my strong tower; fortress when I'm weak. Your name is true and holy, and your face is all I seek." - Kutless, Strong Tower

We tend to seek God's face when we have a longing for His divine presence; a reassurance that He is still near. We look for His face in signs and wonders. Parenting, work, and ministry are often difficult to balance. As we feel our lives tipping the scale, the holy spirit will come in to remind us balance is needed. It can manifest as a longing to be alone with the Lord. Maybe you are drawn to a mountain top. I am often overcome with a need to get to the water's edge.

At times, when loving becomes difficult, it is usually when the Lord is growing me in a particular area. I've had some difficulty loving on certain people. Honestly, my attitude has been less than Christ-like. God understands! When love becomes harsh and dreadful, that is the toughest moment to love. These harsh and dreadful things are intended to draw us closer to Christ. How much closer can we get than for God to reveal himself through physical manifestation? He has certainly drawn my attention away from my worldly cares. God has shown me I will have experiences when there will be no joy in loving. What is the one thing that can propel us through the harsh and dreadful times? God's love! So, what does God do? He shows up! In my case, he actually showed His face, reminding me of his sovereignty...and the CROSS! Not only that, but he's reminded me that love is costly and love suffers for joy.

Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before him. There certainly was no presence of joy in the Garden of Gethsemane. So what propelled Jesus through the hurts as the Father moved him forward in his purpose? What was the joy that was set before him? It was the greatest imagineable joy - the joy of being exalted to God's right hand! As joint heirs in Christ, we will receive that very same joy!

"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory...I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." ~ Ephesians 1:13-14,18-19

"Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." ~ Hebrews 12:1-2


Comments

Popular Posts