Captivated: Change and One Word Resolutions

For me, New Year resolutions went out the window in 2006. It seemed like I was making the same resolution each year and never saw any change. I realized that year that my change had to first include what God wanted in order for change to take hold.

Change is possible but focus is required. Sometimes we must make sacrifices or do away with the things (or people) which distract us from the change we desire in our life. Even if it is a change in character, we may have to  make changes in our inner circle. Maybe you wish you made better choices or realize you take too much for granted. Maybe you want to remove busyness from your life and become less like Martha and more like Mary.

Whatever the change is, action is required as well as focus. And there are many words of wisdom in the Bible to help us along the way. When we desire change that is honoring to God and according to His Word, Holy Spirit WILL engage with revelation, renewing of our mind, actual changes in our environment, inner circle, or WHATEVER it takes.




For the past couple of years, I have started the New Year with a one word resolution. I now pick one word that sums up what I most hope God will reveal or do in me. My word for 2013 was Fulfillment. The year for 2012 was Suddenly

I recall how I came up with the word Suddenly. As I was thinking about some of my lingering fears, I reflected on how fear has gripped me in the past when sudden changes occurred in my life. Sudden change seemed to bring tremendous anxiety and would overwhelm me with hopeless and discouraging thoughts.  I know this was part of the remnants and aftereffects of much trauma in my life. As I continued to seek God in this, I also recalled how the Lord turned the bad things into good. I began to see things differently and realized that God will often create discomfort to move us into a better place. As I recalled more of what God has done in me and in my life, I saw more of His rescue or blessings which came suddenly.  We often are unable to see what God is doing behind the scenes. When the fulfillment of His purpose for us does come, it often comes with sudden change. I wanted to see more of His 'suddenlies' as I now trusted that uncomfortable change was often a blessing in disguise. I desired to witness more of His miraculous works that come so suddenly! I learned to celebrate change rather than dread it.

For 2014, the word Captivated came to mind. As a writer, it is hard to just pick one word! I know it is the right word when I receive confirmation. How unexpectedly perfect to come across a book I had purchased and packed away (in my Christmas box, of all places). The book title?  Captivating! Thank you, Lord, for the Christmas gift!  I am excited to begin reading my book and to experience all the Lord has for me on this journey.

My One Word is a great site if you are considering a One Word resolution for the New Year. May God do mighty things in you, leaving you in awe of how, "You can do ALL things in Christ who strengthens you"! (Philippians 4:13)


Comments

Popular Posts