Relevant Stuff

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:19-21


In my preparations to move, I am busy sorting through stuff. When we first moved into our rented condo, all we really had was the clothes on our back along with a couple dressers and a few personal items. It was quite amazing how our home was suddenly filled with furnishings, appliances, and decor. I keep things simple, but I have definitely collected a great deal of stuff.

For the past two weeks, the Holy Spirit has echoed the importance of letting go of the things I have collected. The word I've come to focus on is "Relevant".

Isn't it appropriate that when I attended service last weekend, my pastor's message began with this sentence..

"My stuff causes me problems."

Yesterday, I sorted through my stuff and chose which items to display at my moving sale. It was necessary to constantly remind myself of relevance. This included my two cats, actually. It was a difficult day in that regard. However, I learned that the people who came to purchase my stuff had a greater need than I did for these items; even the lamp I really did not want to let go of.

So, lesson learned.

Comments

Popular Posts