Breath of Heaven: The Glory of God's Presence

God goes before us and paves the way in which He will lead us. His purpose is fulfilled, meanwhile, guarding his children from harm. It is a promise that Christ always precedes us into God's future. Whether we rush to the future eagerly or stumble toward the future confusedly or shuffle toward the future fearfully; Christ has gone before us on the way."The LORD your God which goeth before you, he shall fight for you, according to all that he did for you in Egypt before your eyes" (Deuteronomy 1:30). We are promised the same in Mark 16:7, "He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you." Most often, we are unaware of the works to which God calls us. He just lays it all out. It is our free will to make the choices which are in step with the leading of the Holy Spirit. Is it good and right, the favor we are asked of a love one? Will my response be out of love, fear, or selfishness? We are instructed to put the needs of others above our own. Some things are a given; there really is no choice in our hearts. We respond out of a sense of duty and morality. Declaring that to renounce our own force, and constantly to follow our calling, and depend on the Lord, is true boldness, and agreeable to God.

In doing so, we will encounter spiritual battles. Satan watches the steps of man, casting obstacles in our path. He really is a fool, because, though Satan can cause us to stumble, the steps of a righteous man are ordained by God (Psalm 37:23), and God will be victorious in fullfilling His plan. "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him and put him to flight [for He will come like a rushing stream which the breath of the Lord drives]." (Isaiah 59:19)

One evening, I received a call from a dear friend, whose mother was dying from cancer. She asked that I meet her at her mother’s house, to support her in her mother's last hours. Her request really did not afford a choice in my mind. It was something I was called to do. At the time, I did not consider my choice as one of obedience to the Lord. I considered it an honor, more than anything, to be with her at her mother's death bed; it was out of love for her. My walk as a Christian was relatively new. Though I'd witnessed the power of the Holy Spirit, I had not yet come to understand the meaning of a relationship with Christ, or fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Parking my car in a red zone, I hurried inside the apartment. My friend shared many sentiments with her mother, hopeful for reconciliation and peace in her heart. As we stood at her mother’s bedside, I looked for her bible. Something told me I should read the notes she’d written in her bible. I began reading aloud the scriptures she had circled and underlined. The fact that her mother could not speak or respond to our presence was understandably difficult for my friend. The loud noise outside the bedroom window was quite distracting. I was overcome with an urgency to read through the scriptures. As the reading quickened, I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit. My voice became louder, as I read above the noise outside the window. Setting the bible down, I quickly led us in prayer. She responded with a squeeze to her daughter’s hand. As we looked at each other and said, “Amen”, her mother took her last breath.

The feeling of love and peace we both felt is indescribable. Tears of joy poured out as we stood in awe of God’s presence in the room. The beauty and holiness of that moment is one neither of us will ever forget. As the Lord prepared the events of that evening, the enemy tried to distract us from reading and praying. The commotion outside happened to be a tow truck, removing my car from the red zone. If we’d given in to the distraction of the enemy, my friend would have been robbed of the blessing and peace she received that night. Most importantly, this story would not exist to bring glory to God.

Comments

Popular Posts