Whoa Brothers and Sisters, Who Art Thou?


The discussions taking place on Facebook are diverse in content. This social network is a powerful ministry tool, in addition to acting as a great medium in restoration of long lost friends and family.

Some discussions, however, do breed contention. What is disturbing is these contentious agreements to disagree take place among Christians; brothers and sisters within the Body of Christ. As I discover the tone of a discussion taking on this spirit of dissention, I am led by the Holy Spirit to back away in humility, to observe and pray. When led, I will interject a word of peace, in an attempt to defuse the growing wave which is intended to divide among the body. The Holy Spirit constantly reminds me of Jesus' words to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." (Matthew 16:23) I don't usually use this scripture to diffuse the contention; I tend to lean towards a gentler approach. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

When one of these discussions works itself out on a positive note, my belief is that it was a productive, enriching dialog, ultimately revealing spiritual growth in some way. On the other hand, some discussions do not end on a positive note. The dialog simply ends out of frustration and discord, with one of the participants abruptly but graciously exiting the discussion. I've been a part of several online discussions which edify, and others which leave me seeking truth.

A recent discussion on Facebook resulted in over sixty posts. Another was not so lengthy, but controversial, nonetheless. Though it ended peacefully, without division, the Holy Spirit spoke to me about it shortly afterward. "Do not engage with haughty, contentious discussions; my spirit is not present there." Okay! Thank you Lord for the instruction. I am running with it.

That very night, I encountered a very disturbing discussion with a brother in Christ. His comments came from out of nowhere, with judgment and a haughty spirit, questioning my salvation and the God I worship and serve. I urged him to please just let it rest.

There is absolutely no doubt that the Holy spirit was warning me of this conversation beforehand. I stood firm in my faith and the promise of my salvation, though the truth of my salvation was under attack. My spirit was grieved all night and into the morning. I struggled as I worshiped Jesus the following day. I did have to cry out, "Get behind me Satan!"

Another crucial piece to the events of the day is that I was asked earlier in the day to lead weekly services at an assisted living center for adults with disabilities. Just recently, God used he and I, together, to witness to a dear lifelong friend, which resulted in her renewed relationship with the Lord! Do you see what is going on here? I've forgiven my brother, for it is not the flesh I am at war with , but the evil principalities...(Ephesians 6:10-18)

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'....Jesus replied, "Do this and you will live." (Luke 10:27-28) How reassuring that our salvation is not dependent on whether or not we see eye to eye with man's interpretation of the scriptures.

"Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God." -Jesus in Luke 12:8-9

We must pray for all brothers and sisters in Christ; for the spirit of humility to flood our hearts throughout the entire body. Most importantly, we must check ourselves daily, coming before the Lord with a humble spirit, putting on Love, before engaging with others. "But above all these things put on love, which is the bond of perfection. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." ~ Colossians 3:14-17

Comments

  1. Amen!!! I have nothing to add here other then. I aim and strive to glorify the Lord thy God with my heart soul and might!! He is my King and my Salvation...without love, his love, word of God and Holy Spirit ruling our hearts and minds...we are ineffective for his kingdom.

    Thank YOU sister!!
    Love, Jeannene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

May the words shared here bless you in some way and inspire you to draw closer to God. Your input is welcomed and appreciated, my friend!

Popular Posts