Commitment: The Final Act of Love

My one word for 2016 is Commit. Why "Commit"? It really is fascinating how the spirit of God works when you pursue understanding. My desire is to remain steadfast at whatever I put my hands and feet to but there are times when I do just the opposite. I try not to beat myself up over it. After all, there are some pretty significant accomplishments in my life that required complete commitment and fortitude. Still, in spite of these victories, distraction, discouragement, or even fear can derail me at times. Can you relate?

"And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul(life), and with all your mind (thought, understanding), and with all your strength." Mark 12:30

When I set out to write this article, the first thing Holy Spirit laid upon my heart was the last words Jesus spoke from the cross. Honestly, I thought they were, "It is finished." When I discovered his last words were actually centered on my one word, I could not wait to get started.

The very last words spoken by Jesus from the Cross were His final act of love. True perfection. At the moment of rendering his spirit, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)  This prayer is an expression of total trust in God. It comes from a psalm in which King David put his future into the hands of the Lord God with the certainty that God would act in his favor (Psalm 31:16).

What about us?

The triangular theory of love was developed by psychologist Robert Sternberg. It is essentially a Consummate Love. The definition of consummate is 'to bring to a state of perfection'. The three components of love, according to the triangular theory, are intimacy, passion, and commitment. If we do not commit to love, it is far from perfect.

 
When I meditate on Mark 12:30, my thoughts are centered on my devotion and commitment to love Jesus with every bit of my heart. This is not just a feeling of love; it is also demonstrated in the choices I make and to what or who I gravitate to. Where is my attention given? What am I committed to? Am I compelled to remain where His presence is felt? Are my thoughts fixed on His will for my life?

We are Jesus' passion. His perfect love comes with commitment. For when we are faithless, He is faithful.

Jesus, in the waiting for my complete restoration to your heavenly kingdom, may I always commit my ways to yours. (Psalm 37:5-6) Keep my heart guarded in the chambers of your own. Thank you for sending your Spirit to dwell in me so that I may get a glimpse of the power that raised you from the dead. Thank you for your passion and commitment. In your precious and powerful name, Jesus, I commit my life to your glory and to abide in you forever. I commit to love. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts