Angels Standing Guard


Don't you just love a testimony that leaves you in awe of God? Hearing a fellow believer testify to God's divine intervention can fuel another's desire for such an encounter. Who doesn't want to SEE God move?

Most times, our discerning spirit will piece together patterns or echoes in order to recognize God's hand in our life. It is not necessarily a visible manifestation but a 'knowing' in the Spirit. Believers and unbelievers alike are overjoyed when an act of God is witnessed. One example that comes to mind is when U.S. Airways Flight 1549 crash landed in the middle of New York's Hudson River. Every passenger survived. It certainly required the impeccable skills of the pilot but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God commanded His angels to carry that airplane into the icy waters. Holy Spirit was in the cockpit and with every passenger.

Many who did not believe in God before that day were now convinced God not only exists but He is also a God who performs miraculous works.

"For He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways." Psalm 91:11

Over the years, I have witnessed many acts of God and been awe struck with His divine appointments. Loved ones who have gone home to the Lord have appeared in my dreams, giving me comfort and peace. But the story I am about to share with you is about how God commands His angels to stand guard over us. This one in particular was hanging out in the traffic courthouse. Maybe there was more than one.

I had been on disability for over a year and had traffic tickets galore due to driving around in an old junker car. At this time in my life, I had recently recommitted my life to Christ and could not put my Bible down. There was so much happening every single day that I could not stop talking about Jesus and what He was doing. 

As I took my place at the end of the line to the court hearings office, I made eye contact with the very handsomely rugged and tall man standing in front of me. Instantly bashful, I tried to hide behind him as he was clearly more than a foot taller than me. It was awkward because there was an instant attraction between us and this was quite surprising to me.

Another man took his place in line behind me. He began asking me questions about the way the traffic court works. I was all too familiar and was able to answer his questions. This was the perfect opportunity for the handsome man in front of me to turn around and engage in our conversation. I got pretty excited and a bit nervous. So, I just started talking about Jesus! Seriously, I said , "There has got to be a bigger reason for Jesus to have me here, I just know it!"  He just smiled and said, "Oh yeah?"  I loved his smile and the way he looked at me. I was so giddy but the most appropriate thing I could talk about was Jesus.

In our small talk I kept going back to mentioning the Lord. He seemed rather ashamed when I asked him if he attends church. He told me he had not stepped foot in a church in over twenty-five years. My response was that you do not have to go to church to have a relationship with Jesus. He just smiled at me again.  

Once I finished my business at the clerk's window, I walked over to the courtroom where I would face the judge and took my seat. My new friend looked for me and sat down in the seat next to me. It was so exciting to have this handsome man paying me some attention. I recall thinking how different it was to meet someone on Jesus' terms. He obviously was drawn to how I could not stop speaking about Jesus, right?

Once we finished pleading our case before the judge, we headed to the next room where we stood in another line, but apart from one another.  Our eyes and smiles kept connecting. We both wanted to spend time together. I headed out of the Fines room before he did so I decided to wait in the lobby area. There had to be thirty people sitting there so I stood across from the lobby and checked my phone messages, waiting for my friend to come out.

That is when this small, frail, older woman called out to me from across the lobby, "Excuse me, Miss?" I looked up and she was waving at me. "Excuse me but can you come help me?"  Sure, I thought. So, I walked over to her.  This precious woman was so meek and she began explaining she needed my help to get to the ladies room. Of course I told her I would help her. But I also realized I may miss out on inviting my new friend to breakfast. 

The woman did not ask anyone sitting right next to her to help her. Instead, she called across a twenty foot distance to get my attention. As I helped her from her seat, she picked up her cane with her right hand and asked me to support her left side. As we walked through the courthouse, she shared praises of how Jesus had healed her kidneys and her heart, and had even given her a new hip. She was so excited to share Jesus with me. He is all we talked about. Even in the restroom, while I waited for her, we shared praises through the stall door. And all the way back to the lobby, she never stopped praising His name. Funny, I had done the same thing earlier with my friend.

As I helped my sister back to her seat, she thanked me and blessed me in the name of Jesus.

As it turned out, my friend in the courtroom had finished his business and left. Walking to my car, I was so disappointed that I missed him. I actually cried to the Lord, "So, what was THAT all about? I finally feel safe enough to welcome a man into my life and he disappears?"   After a few minutes of just being still in my car, I heard Holy Spirit whisper to my heart, "He would have done you harm."

My heart was calmed instantly.

My flesh and emotional needs were getting confused with all that was taking place in the Spirit. 
Talk about being humbled with instant revelation of what God had ordained in the courthouse! He commanded angels to stand guard over me. Jesus used me to speak His love into this man's life that day. Holy Spirit compelled the precious woman to call on me, to rescue me away from the man I was waiting for. All either one of us did was tell of his praises and blessings!

I will never forget how God commanded His angels to stand guard over me that morning. I knew there was a bigger reason for Jesus to have me there. I just knew it! I will always praise Jesus for His divine rescue and for directing my path as I acknowledge Him.

Amen.

Comments

  1. I loved the story. How many times have we walked away feeling heart broken because of the lack of knowledge,not knowing He had spared our lives? This is good and hope you keep running into Angels. That Lady may have very well been the Angels you had talked about. I believe in Angels and most of all Jesus. What a great God we serve! Cherie, come check out my blog here at http://www.wait4myking.com. I'd love to have you come by an read. You are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

May the words shared here bless you in some way and inspire you to draw closer to God. Your input is welcomed and appreciated, my friend!

Popular Posts