Knowing Truth

How often do we encounter those who tell us we are taking Scripture out of context? In my experience, most often times, there is a spirit of arrogance that comes with such a statement. It has taken me years to realize the divine power in Scripture when it is sent through Holy Spirit. Just because someone is reading the Bible to you does not necessarily mean the Spirit of God is speaking through them. 

I've been told that my dad, who was a wise skeptic seated at the back of a little Baptist church, called the preacher out on a few things he spoke of from the pulpit. This was even before my dad had given his life to Jesus. Thanks Dad! I was not there but I sure do have that in me, by the grace of God and the spirit of the Lord's wisdom in me.



A friend mentioned the 'mysteries' of the Word of God.  He went on to say, "There is more to the Word of God than what you read." One should think that the Bible was written for everybody to understand, but the Word of God makes it very clear that only some people will understand the Bible and the mystery of God.

Jesus explained this to His disciples in Mark 4 (Amplified): 


11 And He said to them, To you has been entrusted the mystery of the kingdom of God [that is, the secret counsels of God which are hidden from the ungodly]; but for those outside [of our circle] everything becomes a parable,
12 In order that they may [indeed] look and look but not see and perceive, and may hear and hear but not grasp and comprehend, lest haply they should turn again, and it [their willful rejection of the truth] should be forgiven them.
13 And He said to them, Do you not discern and understand this parable? How then is it possible for you to discern and understand all the parables?
14 The sower sows the Word.

Holy Spirit (the Sower) will write upon our heart what we can trust as Truth. The mysteries and power that come from Scripture, combined with the discernment only given by the indwelling of the Spirit of God, has often shown that God will cause His Word to serve a purpose which may go beyond the understanding of our mind. This is important to remember as we attempt to box His Word into the context in which it is written.

Isaiah 55:8-9, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." 

vs 10-11, "For as the rain and snow come down from the heavens, and return not there again, but water the earth and make it bring forth and sprout, that it may give seed to the sower and bread tot he eater, So shall My Word be that goes forth out of My mouth: it shall not return to Me void [without producing any effect, useless], but it shall accomplish that which I please and purpose, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it."

I am reminded often of the power of God's Word when it is sent from His Spirit. But one particular season, I was led to Matthew 10:26. "So have no fear of them, for nothing is concealed that will not be revealed, or kept secret that will not become known."  I could not and would not let go of this promise for the Spirit of the Lord wrote it upon my heart. 

For nearly five years, I fought for my parenting rights for my daughter. The only legal representation I had was myself and the Lord. Holy Spirit was my counselor and the most high judge. As I entered the courthouse or the judge's courtroom, Holy Spirit interceded and I prayed this word of God's justice and Truth with complete belief.

This statement Jesus made can not be boxed into the circumstances or context in which it is written when Jesus sent out the twelve Apostles. They were not walking in my shoes nor I in theirs. Regardless, the Lord sent this Word to serve the purpose for which it was sent.

And the victory came, all for His glory. 

Revelation of God's Word is to obtain spiritual understanding of His Truth. What is revealed to one may not be revealed to another. Some believe they understand because they read and have been taught while they may have not yet received spiritual revelation.

How perfect to close with these words from Paul's letter to the Colossians...

"In Him all the treasures of [divine] wisdom (comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God) and [all the riches of spiritual] knowledge and enlightenment are stored up and lie hidden. I say this in order that no one may mislead and delude you by plausible and persuasive and attractive arguments and beguiling speech." (Col 2:3-4 Amplified)

Comments

Popular Posts