A Lesson in Pursuing Peace

Peace.

My frequent prayer and blessing is for all to remain in God's perfect peace. For me, the more steadfast I am in my Christian walk, the more at peace I remain.

Lately, my heart and mind have not been at peace. Anxiety took hold. When anxiety arises, faith and peace vanish.

Last weekend, I was looking for important personal documents. Since we recently moved, I was uncertain where they were. Even though I knew I had seen them, I was frantic I could not put my hands on them. While searching through my files on my bookshelf, something fell from the top shelf and hit me in the head. This plaque was a blatant reminder for me to calm down and pray.

Did I?

No.

I kept frantically running through the house, revisiting each place I had already been. Returning to the bookshelf made me stop in my tracks as that same plaque fell from the new spot I had placed it, hitting me in the head AGAIN!

Wow, Lord! You actually hit me over the head with your Word! Sometimes, that's what it takes, I guess. So, I prayed. I sought peace. 

When I looked up the Scripture reference on the plaque, I discovered it was an error! The Book of Proverbs ends at Proverbs 31; there is not a 34th chapter. That was wild. I thought, "How could they make such a mistake?" 

I had to pursue this Scripture....





It is actually written in Proverbs 14:30. They got their numbers mixed up as well as the actual verse.

The KJV reads, "sound heart is the life of the flesh.."

The next thing I knew, I found my important envelope. It was not hidden away in a file box. Of course not. It was lying at my feet on top of a few items I'd set down inside my closet.

The reward of pursuing peace is.... 
  • peace
  • justice
  • righteousness
  • God's glory
  • rest
  • humility
  • gratefulness
  • increased faith


I love the relentless nature of Holy Spirit!!  The verse above it reads, "He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding: but he that is hasty of spirit exalteth folly.  

Much of my anxiety was rooted in A-N-G-E-R. Holy Spirit showed me this very word, just as I typed it here, in a very vivid dream the very next day! Praise the Lord!


Jesus Christ gave us the New Covenant which includes the promise of receiving His peace in abundance.  

"Oh, that you had listened to my commands! Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river and righteousness rolling like waves." Isaiah 48:18 

Pursuing peace is pursuing God's righteousness. Peace can be disturbed if one does not live before the Lord and others in righteousness; in fact, peace is one of the fruits of righteousness.

"And this righteousness will bring peace. Quietness and confidence will fill the land forever. My people will live in safety, quietly at home. They will be at rest." Isaiah 32:17-18

I am eternally grateful for this lesson in Peace as the Lord prepares for my study of the promises of the New Covenant. When Holy Spirit plants in us a desire to learn and understand His will, He brings forth actual applicable life lessons. We rarely simply read the lesson from a booklet. What a remarkable and loving God we have!  For Your Glory, my Beloved Christ Jesus!

Comments

Popular Posts