Joy Sustained Through Serving Others

                                    "The joy of the Lord is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10

Yesterday, for most of my day, I was not walking in the joy or peace of the Lord. It started out that way but then as my morning progressed into the afternoon, I became impatient and short tempered. It was the world and allowing my exposed heart to get sucked into the things of this world. It is a joy stealer and peace killer at times for me.

Once my work day ended, it was time to head to meet with my Genesis client. When I arrived, I saw she was having a horrible day, consumed in fear, shame, and anger.

Emotions are tricky, and so are lies we've lived with our entire life. We must come to a place where the Truth of what God tells us in His Word is more believable than those lies we've known. The fruits of the Spirit also reveal a huge difference in how we respond to adversity and conflict.

Our discussion went straight to God's Word and we prayed together. As I counseled her, tears formed in my eyes as I reflected upon my own life and how very much my heart desires for her to arrive at the place I have discovered in Christ.

But I was not in that place of joy and perfect peace earlier though, was I! No, not at all. It was not until I recounted the things the Lord has done for me and crying out from my heart for His redeeming love to touch my sister's heart and mind that I wept. As I witnessed her entering into His perfect peace, her painful cry turned to joyous and grateful laughter. My heart was overflowing with joy. Why? I was serving with my God given gift and sharing the hope I have acquired in Jesus Christ. In that, I witnessed God moving.

"Another form of "the joy of the Lord" will visit us practically every day in the honor of being allowed to serve him. It is a joy worth worlds to be allowed to do good. To teach a little child his letters for Christ, will give a true heart some taste of the joy of the Lord, if it be consciously done for the Lord's sake alone. To bear the portion to those for whom nothing is prepared, to visit the sick, to comfort the mourner, to aid the poor, to instruct the ignorant, any, and all of such Christian works, if done in Jesus' name, will in their measure array us in Jehovah's joy." ~ Charles Spurgeon

When we rejoice in the Lord and enjoy the deliverance given by God, we are empowered and enabled to bear anything with the joy of the Lord. At those moments when we experience this inner peace and joy, our mind will not be disturbed by what others say about us. In the absence of this inner joy, what others say upsets us very easily. This is the peace that surpasses all understanding; this is remaining in the Perfect Peace of the Lord.

Father God, thank you for your Spirit who is our greatest source of joy and inner peace. May we be sustained today and every day by His strength and by Your grace that you so freely give. Draw us into the heart of Your Son, our beloved Jesus. It is our longing and desire to abide in Him. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts