The Voice of Truth

It is my desire to remain so focused on God's promises and His will for my life that no bump in the road could ever distract me from it. Along with that, I desire to praise God in the midst of trials and sufferings. I want to have a faith that will move mountains; a faith that never strays from the promises of God's word and His will for my life. I want a faith so strong that my Creator will one day say He has never seen a faith so strong, as in the faith of the Roman Centurion. (Mathew 8:5-13)

It is only God's voice, the whispers of the Holy Spirit, that I want to hear. However, the voice of the enemy does everything to grab my attention. One of my prayers I pray regularly is to ask the Lord to keep me sensitive to the spiritual realm, so I may discern good from evil; truth from lies.

I do believe and trust in the Lord. Every opportunity I have, I glorify Him. However, in the midst of a threat to my health today, my mind was distracted from the promise I cling to with all my soul. With the potential threat of a heart condition, I was falling into a mode of fear. A friend asked me what it was I feared. The first thing that came to mind was how my father suffered with his heart disease, starting at about the age I am now. Secondly, I thought of not being able to provide for my daughter and remain strong for her. You know, those 'what if' moments. How could I even go there? God has shown me, time after time, He is there to meet every need. As far as my daughter, this season of restoration in our life continues to strengthen. Where did that glimpse of doubt come from? It certainly was not a whisper from the Holy Spirit. I had to knock that voice out of my mind. the lies of Satan can come that quickly, distracting us from the promises written in God's Word; the truth.

I prayed, and so many others were praying while I was treated in triage. I pulled my new bible study guide from my bag. As I read about Mary, the mother of Jesus, and her cousin, Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, a peace fell over me as the fear left my mind. I began feeling the prayers of so many prayer warriors. Thoughts of doubt and fear were replaced with affirmation that the entire situation is in God's hands. He does not wish me harm. His plans are in motion, and he intends on completing them!

On my way home, I heard a song which spoke of the Lord holding me in his hands. This is when I realized I'd slipped. The Holy Spirit whispered to my heart, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans for good, not for evil; plans for a future and hope." (Jeremiah 29:11) God has put things in motion and has revealed my purpose. I know His will for me and I see him orchestrating each step along the way. However, today, there was a bump in the road that had me distracted from that plan; as if my life was taking a different turn, and not a good one.

That was not of God. Our Heavenly Father does not waver in His plan for us. We get off track with these hurdles and bumps in the road, when they should bring us to a stronger place in our faith and our trust in Jesus. They should be looked at as times to praise God more than ever because the glory that will come from them is so much greater than the challenge itself.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." - Romans 8:18

That is a promise we can trust and hold onto!

As one who lived with the spirit of fear for most of my life, when it creeps in, it is a familiar voice. It is one I grew to trust as part of my survival. That voice was capable of total destruction. Now, as I walk in Christ, I seek the voice of the Lord. His voice speaks love, hope, life, and truth. Within the voice of truth, I hear promises of healing, faithfulness, favor, deliverance, and unconditional love. He speaks only words which lift me up, strengthen me, and remind me I am His beautiful child for whom He has beautiful things planned; all things that bring Him glory!

Charles Spurgeon had this to share about our faith and not trusting in God to keep His promises:

"Do you doubt, O Christian, do you doubt as to whether God will fulfil his promise? Shall the munitions of rock be carried by storm? Shall the storehouses of heaven fail? Do you think that your heavenly Father, though he knoweth that you have need of food and raiment, will yet forget you? When not a sparrow falls to the ground without your Father, and the very hairs of your head are all numbered, will you mistrust and doubt him? Perhaps your affliction will continue upon you till you dare to trust your God, and then it shall end. Full many there be who have been tried and sore vexed till at last they have been driven in sheer desperation to exercise faith in God, and the moment of their faith has been the instant of their deliverance; they have seen whether God would keep his promise or not. Oh, I pray you, doubt him no longer! Please not Satan, and vex not yourself by indulging any more those hard thoughts of God. Think it not a light matter to doubt Jehovah. Remember, it is a sin; and not a little sin either, but in the highest degree criminal. The angels never doubted him, nor the devils either: we alone, out of all the beings that God has fashioned, dishonour him by unbelief, and tarnish his honour by mistrust. Shame upon us for this! Our God does not deserve to be so basely suspected; in our past life we have proved him to be true and faithful to his word, and with so many instances of his love and of his kindness as we have received, and are daily receiving, at his hands, it is base and inexcusable that we suffer a doubt to sojourn within our heart. May we henceforth wage constant war against doubts of our God-enemies to our peace and to his honour; and with an unstaggering faith believe that what he has promised he will also perform. “Lord, I believe, help thou mine unbelief.”


Comments

Popular Posts