Second Chances

An opportunity to see Wm. Paul Young, author of the bestseller, "The Shack", came my way recently. Myself and two friends arrived at Capitol Christian Center in Rancho Cordova, CA, eagerly awaiting Paul Young's testimony as to how he came to write his book. None of us normally attend this church, and I, myself, was feeling a little out of sorts for missing service at my home church. I recall having thoughts about attending Saturday evening service, so I could see Paul Young on Sunday. However, it did not work out that way.

Worship was beautiful and the annointing of the holy spirit was present as we raised our hands to praise our Lord and Saviour. One song, in particular, spoke to me. This song was one I'd not heard before. The lyrics in one verse went like this, "Sing over me, God of second chances." This verse rooted deep into my heart and I was filled with gratitude. I began running through my mind all the things God has redeemed in my life. God has also revealed promises to restore other things in my life, for which I feel him growing and preparing me. His second chances just keep coming!

The author shared about his childhood, his parents, his purpose in writing the book, and a beautiful story about his mother. Many of the things he shared were perfect examples of second chances; God's mercy and grace.

As we exited the church and throughout our drive home, we shared the highlights of the morning. Once I arrived home, I checked my email to find a message from a friend, asking me how I enjoyed listening to Paul Young. My reply to her described, in detail, all the stories he shared. What I pointed out at the very end was, "...and the holy spirit spoke to me about second chances." My friend was quick to reply immediately. She told me I came to her mind during service at our home church. Then she typed, "And guess what the message was about! Second Chances!" She encouraged me to listen to our pastor's message online, which I did right away.

When I opened Lakeside Church's website and clicked on the messages link, I saw the message for the weekend was titled, "Second Chances". I just smiled. Pastor Brad Franklin's message focused on the story of Jonah. As I listened to his message, and applied it to my life, I realized a couple of things. The first and most obvious thing that came to mind was that God really wants me to acknowledge His mercy and grace in my life! The second thing was how beautifully he orchestrated that day to make sure I was given a second chance to listen to his message on second chances. How amazing is that? The story of Jonah was particularly significant as I shared this entire exchange with the holy spirit with the women at Powerhouse Ministries. Of course, the fellowship with the holy spirit and sharing how the theme of the day was carried out was amazing! Lastly, after thanking God for all these second chances, I felt convicted about my inability to extend a second chance to a friend who had hurt me terribly. I told myself, " If God can give me all these second chances, who am I not to give my friend a second chance?" Forgiveness. Forgiveness results in tremendous healing, for with unforgiveness, our spirit experiences torment.

I know my purpose is to "tell my story for His glory", and witness to his redeeming love for me. Every opportunity I get, there is a sense of urgency to share how the holy spirit manifests in my life. This is clearly one of those times.

Comments

Popular Posts